By Ronard Kachaje

Success is an upcoming magazine centered on youths.

The main objectives of the publication are educating, motivating, inspiring and entertaining the young generation.

The content of the magazine is divided into two segments.

The first segment comprises articles written by experts from various fields to educate, motivate and inspire the youths, while the second split comprises articles and interviews of achievers and young stars.

The magazine has published articles authored by notable figures such as Dr Betchani Tcheleni, associate professor Chomora Mikeka, Dr Thomas Munthali, Dr Steve Sharra, Gary Chirwa and Bright Chidzumeni.

This publication has also reported on prominent figures in Malawi such as Napoleon Dzombe, Gwamba, Fisher Kondowe, Gift ‘Sukez’ Sukali, Lilly Alfonso, Winnie Tione, Bridget Chalemera, and many more.



We intend to print out 2,000 copies and share 40% of the copies for free, while the remaining 60% will be sold at 2,000 Malawian kwacha (about R40) per copy.

The 40% (800) free copies will be distributed to organisations that work with youths such as the Family Planning Association of Malawi, public libraries and other copies will be dropped at various university libraries and selected secondary schools.

The magazine is a 44-page publication.

This year I applied and got accepted to participate in the 6-month Jamlab Accelerator Programme. When I was applying for this prestigious programme, I had little knowledge of how it will benefit us.

After successfully been listed to undergo a second phase which was oral interview on Zoom and submit a document about our team and future goals, I did research to understand what it is all about and what it is going to offer to us. I was excited to learn that it will be a platform to learn more about entrepreneurship and media startups. This gave the team energy to put much more effort and finally, we got accepted into the programme which started on September 14 this year.

Since we began, we have learned about media innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem mapping, organisational development and new media, media ecosystems, marketing and market intelligence. These lectures have helped us to reshape and redefine our ideas.

We have now structured our startup well as a business prospect.

After participating in the Jamlab demo day, a presentation by Jamlab alumni about their startups and what the programme had offered them, I am confident that we are going in the right direction. I am hoping to learn more about the business aspects of our startup and how to make it sustainable. Among other things, I believe that Jamlab will connect us to potential funders so that we can pitch our ideas to them.

In summary, Success magazine is about enlightening and connecting the youths and Jamlab will help us to structure and position our magazine.

The JamLab Accelerator is a six-month hothouse programme for journalism and media innovators. It is based at Tshimologong Digital Innovation Precinct in the heart of Johannesburg.


  • Global Press widens its horizons

    Being on the Jamlab Accelerator Programme has elevated the possibility of the enterprise being bigger and better, says the organisations’s impact analyst Fortune Moyo

  • Last Drop Africa podcast passes monetisation test

    The accelerator programme has honed our skills in pitching, competitor and business environmental analysis, and shared resources that can help small organisations like ours secure funding and grants

  • Catching up with the 6th cohort of the accelerator programme

    Two months into the Jamlab Accelerator Programme, we spoke to some of the teams about what the programme has helped them learn about their businesses

  • Afro Communities of Hope equips migrants with storytelling skills

    Afro Communities of Hope aims to equip migrants with the necessary skills to tell their own stories


Everything you need to know regarding journalism and media innovation in Africa – fortnightly in your inbox.