Are you working on something that you think could reshape media or journalism in sub-Saharan? Do you have skills you could apply to creating great new media? Do you have the energy and commitment to create something great?
Applications are now open for the Jamlab Accelerator Programme (JAP) sub-Saharan Africa, our six-month hothouse for journalism and media innovators. This sub-Saharan Africa accelerator programme we are running will largely take place virtually. The programme will run from May 2022 to November 2022, and is run by the Wits Centre for Journalism, and supported by Absa as well as the “Consortium for Human Rights and Media in Africa (Charm)”, funded through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The programme offers a unique opportunity to fast-track your initiative. It will provide you with the tools, facilities, contacts, and support necessary to convert your ideas and ambitions into a commercially viable venture or product.
Twenty-four (24) teams have taken part in five iterations of the accelerator, with six of them succeeding in securing additional investment immediately after the programme.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for committed and creative journalists and media makers who are passionate about fixing what isn’t working in sub-Saharan African media. We are looking for startups that want to create innovative products or services to serve new audiences, or bring new conversations or ideas to the public.
We welcome applications from ALL countries across sub-Saharan Africa, particularly those in Benin; Burkina Faso; Cote de Ivoire; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; Madagascar; Malawi; Mali; Mozambique; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Togo and Zambia.
PLEASE NOTE: Successful startups will need a steady internet and have a good command of speaking and writing in English.
What do you get?
The six teams selected from sub-Saharan Africa programme will receive the following:
- Virtual mentorship and coaching from experienced media, startup and tech experts and entrepreneurs.
- Free places on a three-month Media Entrepreneurship course offered by the Wits Centre for Journalism.
- Access to a technical support development team.
- Opportunities to pitch to potential investors, funders and various stakeholders with an MVP (minimum viable product).
- Access to network which includes but not limited to Programme Alumni.
How do you apply?
- Do a thorough read of all the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Take a look previous startups on the accelerator programme.
- Have a look at what our alumni say about the programme.
- Complete this short application form to capture your details and confirm your eligibility and ability to participate.
You will be asked to write a short pitch setting out your idea for a new journalism start-up or describing your existing venture and your ideas for growing and developing it further. Include in this pitch why and how your venture is innovating in the space.
You will also be asked to provide short resumes of your key team, including a line on each one’s role in the venture.
Remember that successful teams will need a steady internet and have a good command of speaking and writing in English.
Deadline for Applications
The deadline for applications is 17:00 (Central African Time), Monday 18 April 2022
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview in May, 2022
For any queries or questions, please send an email to email@example.com. See timeline below for this process.